Friday, February 3, 2012

An Apology

Stereotypes.  I hate them.  There is no grace in drawing a line in the sand, no wiggle room in the words "always" and "never." So if you use those words, does that make you a liar or simply someone who is over dramatic? 

Lately, there has been a lot of chatter on my Facebook, anti-religion, anti-conservatism, anti-many areas under which I have been defined.  It has irritated me to some extent, but I have read those posts, reviewed those blogs and looked at those pictures with an open mind, still disagreeing with most.  But one of the things I have learned in life is that others don't think about me as often as I think they do.  In other words, those posts have nothing to do with me personally.  

Here is the challenge, I have come to the place where I realize that many of the posts I have seen lately are not based in fact but rather opinion.  Therefore, I can dispute the posts that I find controversial in an attempt to change minds or I can do nothing.  If I do nothing am I allowing  a grave injustice? I don't think so.  By not commenting I am simply allowing others their own opinions.  They haven't asked for mine, so I don't offer it.  If I do begin to dispute each and every post which breaks my heart, I could easily be type cast as a "Bible-thumping lunatic." 

Here is the thing, many of the posts I have read, while breaking my heart, are actually based in the truth so how can I dispute them?  And that's not anyonelse's problem but mine, ours as Christians, and The Church's as a whole.  You see, when the culture we live in becomes so hostile it is actually able to accuse the entire Church because of the misled actions of a few vocal fringe participants, we all pay the price.  For example, The Westboro Baptist Church is an independent church in Topeka, KS who as of March 2009 claims to have participated in over 41,000 protests in over 650 cities since 1991. Their latest target being Coach Joe Pa's funeral.  But, guess what?  They report their membership at 40 people!  JUST 40!  If I know nothing else, I can assure you of this, those 40 people do NOT know the Jesus I know and that's a problem.  How can I possible tell anyone about my faith in Christ if all they know of Christians is what they see my "brothers & sisters" from Westboro engaged in?

From Jim Jones' purple kool aid, to Marshall Applewhite's Hale-Bopp comet, to David Koresh's  Branch Davidians, there is always someone who pushes the limits of rationality.  But what is even worse are those small justifiable reasons for the things many in the Christian culture hold so dear... don't wear pants, wear skirts,  cover your head, don't cover your head, women can't, men should, don't go to the movies, but play bingo!  

 REALLY?!?

My amazingly talented and intelligent cousin posted this picture on her wall.  And it is funny! 
Because it is true.... sad but true.  When we are not willing to take the time to know and understand what it is that we claim to believe then this is what happens!  The peeps revolt and everyone hates the fig newtons.  (I, for one, like those awful cookies!  They remind me of Gramma Hack. But I digresss.)  We cannot take a stand for something so ridiculous as this, or something so controversial as sexual orientation, or women in leadership, or drinking, or ____________ (fill in the blank) and still properly represent Jesus.  You see, it is not about the issue.  It is about my relationship with Jesus Christ.  Which makes some people stereotype me. 

I had a friend (liberal, democratic, & scientific ~ since we are talking about stereotypes) who posted a link to an article on her wall about the state of Texas wanting to teach the Bible not as a religion but as history.  She made a comment about being in support of it as long as all the other religions we taught as well.  I happen to agree with her and posted it too!  As a follower of Christ, I am not afraid of the Truth, I daily trust, believe in and follow The Truth, personified in the person of Jesus Christ.  Why wouldn't I want others to study? And not only the Bible but other faith books too.  I am confident in what will be discovered.  BRING IT ON!

Danetta showed me a t-shirt she wants.  It simply says,

Jesus > Religion

How much more simple can it be? 

The relationship I have with Jesus changed my life, drastically and forever.  It is not about a list of who I can like, where I can go, or what I can do.  I am an intelligent, college educated woman who strives to put people above issues at all times.  

Therefore, I would like to publicly apologize.   I am sorry if I have ever offended you with my actions because of my faith.  I am also sorry for ALL if those who call themselves Christians who may have offended you with their stupidity and or actions in the name of Christ.  Jesus is not like us.  He is God and we are not.  Some of us know that and others do not. Please pardon me, I am still under construction.  

In love and striving to be in the dust of my Rabbi~
Christy


5 comments:

  1. Christy...so well said! I couldn't agree with you more! My nature is one that looks for a fight and with the Lord's help (and Gail's! :) I can honestly say that those storms are like mild breezes now when they come up. The older I get the more I have learned to listen and try to understand. Although, there are times to take a stand and "fight" for what you believe, it is imperative that we learn the proper time and place to do so (I am still learning this! :) Thanks again for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry,
      I really think that as Christians we are held to a higher standard. There are time when we need to take a stand and "fight" for the Truth but more often than not I believe that we do more harm than good. It really is more about following Jesus than being a "good Christian."
      Thanks for reading & your comments!
      Blessings~Ch

      Delete
  2. Are you talking about me in this blog?! ;)

    Seriously, though, very cool. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Krissy. I wasn't. I am very surprised at the amount of conversation this blog has generated tho, both here, Facebook and face to face.
      Thanks for reading and commenting!
      Blessings~Ch

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete