Monday, January 2, 2012

New things

So, Dave asked me the other day if I had written anything on my blog lately.  Now I know he isn't tech savvy, so I should not have been surprised by his question.  But the rest of you may have noticed that there has not been a post since the originals back in August.  I have no excuse. But Dave's question re-ignited a desire to post so here it is, although random as it may be.

Focusing on new things in not hard at this time of the year. My list of new for the holiday looks like this...  The kids have new toys, games and stuff.  Even we adults have a few new things to occupy us.  I woke this morning to a new fallen snow on the ground that it seems everyone was clamoring for over the past few weeks. There were even a few new experiences over the holiday, like a boyfriend to share our daughter with.   A friend had a new baby and my sister has a new relationship.  And the most obvious, over the weekend, we rang in the new year.  But it got me to thinking, why do we wait for this time of the year to celebrate the new?

New things happened all throughout 2011 but with not quite the same fan fair as the past few weeks.  Let's recap those things as well, shall we?  This is what my new list of 2011 looks like....  I became the mother of a 16 yrs old (Ugh, am I really that old?!?), I tried my hand at match making (with mixed results.) I became an ordained pastor, went on my first missions trip, and graduated from college with a bachelor's degree.  It is not an exhaustive list but it's mine.   Maybe yours is not as long or maybe more difficult, but it is yours.  Think about it.  What new things happen to you in 2011?

Good or bad, we need to thank God for them.  It is those experiences which mold and shape us into the more perfect beings God created us to be.  This may be one of the most difficult things we do but it can be done.  Even more importantly may be the ability to embrace those new things that will continue to assault us simply by virtue of being alive.    So, my next question then is, what new experiences are you expecting to experience in the coming year?  Are you ready?  Have you positioned yourself to receive what it is that God will send your way?  No, we may not know exactly what that is or when it will come but we can be prepared, like the wise virgins in Matthew 25. 

If you have heard the voice of God, if He has spoken to you about His calling on your life, then you need to prepare yourself the best you can, to move forward in that calling.  He has spoken to me.  He has revealed His calling for my life to me, and so this year I will prepare to receive His new movement in my life.  I intend to be intentional about preparing myself for the fruition of His promises in my life. I invite you to hold me accountable, I welcome it.  

He will do many, many new things in our lives if we allow Him.  My life verse for 2012 is 
Isaiah 43.19 "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."  

I invite you to join me in following the beautiful feet of the Rabbi Jesus close enough to be covered in His dust in order to see the new things he will do in my life and yours!

 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! You are an awesome writer! I look forward to reading more in the new year!

    Love always,
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete